Week Day Mass Schedule (St. Thomas):
- Monday — No Mass
- 8:30 a.m. — Tuesday through Friday
Weekend Mass Schedule: (as of 10/01/2020)
- 5:30 p.m. — English
- 7:00 p.m. — Español
- 8:15 a.m. — English
- 10:30 a.m. — English
- 12:30 p.m. — St. Anthony (Challenge)
Bishop Jaime Soto has instructed parishes in the Diocese of Sacramento to reopen cautiously to minimize the risk of allowing COVID-19 to spread. For that reason seating and attendance of Mass at St. Thomas the Apostle Church is limited to 75 people per Mass in order to maintain safe social distancing. Until further notice, Mass at St. Anthony of Padua Church in Challenge will be held outdoors; fire and air quality permitting.
Please observe the following regarding indoor and outdoor Masses:
- The use of face coverings is REQUIRED for all attending Mass and must be worn the whole time (with the exception for children under two years of age). This is a directive from the Diocese of Sacramento.
- If you are aged 65 or over, have health conditions which might make you more vulnerable to infectious illness (such as diabetes, a history of cancer, or heart disease), or even have any hint of illness, it is recommended that you refrain from coming to Mass for now. Each person should make a prudent decision considering their own health.
- If you plan to attend Mass, please arrive about 15 minutes early to sign in. The purpose of signing in to Mass, is so the Butte County Health Department can contact you if another parishioner tests positive for COVID-19.
- Ushers will assist in checking parishioners into the church and in finding seats in the pews that allow for social distancing.
- Those receiving the Eucharist are asked to receive on the hand rather than the tongue. After you receive, please step aside before consuming.
- The offertory, bread and wine, will remain on the offertory table, at least for now. There will be an offertory collection will be collected as normal. Online giving through the STAP website is encouraged.
- Missalettes have been removed. The full text readings for Sunday can be found in the bulletin.
- Ushers will be excusing by rows following Mass to help maintain social distancing.
- Father Godwin will suspend greeting parishioners after Mass for now, to keep himself and you safe.
- As of July 3, 2020 Bishop Soto has stated the following: “With regards to singing or chanting, mindful of the vulnerable and for greater peace of mind of the Faithful, please discontinue any singing at Mass.”
Our goal is to keep everyone safe, so that the Church can serve the needs of the Body of Christ, without risking the health of you or your neighbors. It is our hope that as we find solutions to this current pandemic, we can ease some restrictions and come together in fuller community.
Facilities Guideline “On Various Lay Ministers and Other Lay Adult Groups”:
Excerpt taken from the Diocese of Sacramento Memo, dated September 29, 2020:
“In counties assess at the substantial risk level or below adult parish groups (e.g. Knights of Columbus, Bible Study, Legion of Mary, Saint Vincent de Paul Society, etc.), may gather while following the protocols that correspond too the assessed risk tier. The general health and safety protocols apply when gathering together. Keep the meetings short (no more than 90 minutes).”